Lisa Scott's Clam Chowder
- 1 Stick of Butter (unsalted)
- 2 lbs Bacon, chopped in small pieces
- 3 Large yellow onions, diced
- 1 Bunch of celery, diced (remove the root end, but keep the leaves!)
- 1 lb Carrots, grated
- 2 lbs Red potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup 1850 Wine Cellars or Myka Estates Chardonnay
- 1 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 gallons Heavy Cream
- 5 lbs Chopped clams (frozen, cleaned)
- 6 ozs Chicken base (such as better than bouillon, don't mix with water)
- 12 grams Ground Black Pepper
- 6 grams kosher salt
- 6 grams Ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp Pepper sauce
- Croutons, for garnish
Melt butter in a large pot. Add bacon and cook until brown and crisp. Add onions and cook until they are translucent. Add the celery, carrots and potatoes. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in wine and cook for another 3-5 minutes, until the wine is almost completely evaporated. Sprinkle flour all over ingredients and stir so everything is coated. Add cream and clams. Cook until soup is hot. Add chicken base, salt, black and white peppers, and pepper sauce. Cook until potatoes are tender then remove from heat.
Garnish with croutons. Serve with 1850 Wine Cellars Chardonnay.
We think you should
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Exclusive Promos, New Wine Releases, Great Adventures in California Content, and More!